Thursday, February 11, 2021

Nehemiah Garris's Will. 1862. Pitt County, NC

 
Image: From the 1862 will of Nehemiah Garris of Pitt County, NC.


Note: I've kept the original spelling, capitalization and punctuation, and added any comments in square brackets [ ]. I've formatted references to enslaved individuals in bold.

State of North Carolina}
Pitt County                   }

I Nehemiah Garris of the County and State above mentioned being of sound and disposing mind and memory but considering the uncertainty of my earthly existence do make declare and publish this my last will and testament in manner and form as follows

Item 1st  That my executor herein after named shall provide [crossed out: for my] a decent burial for my body suitable to the wishes of my relations and friends and pay the expenses of the same together with all of my just debts out of the first monies that may come into his hands belonging to my estate

Item 2nd  I give and bequeath to my dearly beloved wife Susan Garris one half my crop, stock, provisions on hand and parishionable property of every description that may be on hand at my death my debts first being paid out of the whole of my crop stock and provisions to her and her heirs forever I also loaned to her during her natural life all that part of my land on the east side of back swamp including the houses on the track hereinafter given to my son Asa to the division line between my sons Asa and John hereinafter made and the privaledge of fire wood and rail timber and two negroes Sam and Jinsy [incompletely erased: during her natural]

Item 3rd  I give and bequeath to my son Nahum Garris one hundred and seventy acres of land more or less known as the Tucker tracts on which said Nahum now lives and two negroes to wit: Shade and Hollern ^and their future increase^ to him and his heirs forever and the said Nahum is to pay fifty dollars in currant mony to Sarah Dail

Item 4th  I give and bequeath to my daughter Sarah Dail one hundred acres of land where she now lives to her and heirs forever

Item 5  I give and bequeath to my daughter Malvina Stocks thirty five acres of land known as the Dennis Cannon land on which she lives & Chany Cesar and after the death of my wife Jinsy ^and her future increase^ to her and her her heirs forever and she is to pay the sum of fifty dollars in currant mony to Sarah Dail

Sixth 6th  I give and bequeath to my son John V Garris all that part of the tract of land on which I now live north of the cross fence the dividing line to run parallel with the cross fence from Harpers line to Brown’s line and negroes Cloie Council Green Frank Wilie and Fanny and their future increase to him and his heirs forever and he the said John is to pay the sum of seventy five dollars to Sarah Dail in current mony.

Item 7  I give and bequeath to my daughter Susan Branch the following negroes to wit: Moriah Jordun and Elenor and their future increase to her and her heirs forever and she is to pay to Sarah Daid [Dail] the sum of fifty dollars in current mony.

Item 8th  I give and bequeath to my son Asa Garris all that part of the tract of on which I now live south of the cross fence subject to the dower herein before given to my wife and negroes Harriet Sena Mary Joseph Celia and Cornelus and their future increase and Sam after the death of my wife and the crop stock stick provision & parishionable ^property^ after paying my debts out of the same to be equally divided between him and my wife to him and his heirs forever and he is to pay to Sarah Dail to sum of seventy five in current mony

And lastly I do hereby constitue and appoint my worthy son John B. Garris my executor to execute this my last will and testament according to the true intent and meaning of the same. Given under my hand and seal this 18th day of August 1862

N. Garris (seal)

Witnesses
E. J. Blount
Francis Harper
J. B. Mannin [Manning]

Source of document used for this transcription:
Ancestry.com. North Carolina, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Asa Stocks to Council Wooten. Deed. Pitt County, NC. 1816.

  Asa Stocks to Council Wooten Note: For this transcription, I've added punctuation and standardized capitalization and some spelling to...