Thursday, February 11, 2021

Susan (Becton) Jones's Will. 1847. Craven County, NC

Image: From the 1847 will of Susan (Becton) Jones of Craven County, NC








Note: I've kept the original spelling, capitalization and punctuation, but added paragraph breaks between items, and added any comments in square brackets [ ]. I've formatted the names of enslaved individuals in bold.

In the name of God Amen! I, Susan Jones, of New Bern, State of North Carolina, being of sound and disposing mind and memory, do make, publish and declare my last Will and testament in manner and form following.

Imprimis: I give unto [illegible-Pensy?] Jones, (formerly [Pensy?] Galloway) widow of Henry Jones, of Tennessee, and her executors and administrators four hundred dollars in cash.

Item  I give unto Susan, the infant daughter of Malvina Dimock of Washington [refers to Washington, NC], and her executors and administrators two hundred dollars in cash.

Item  Should I survive Mrs. [Pensy?] Jones above named to prevent the lapsing of her legacy, I give said four hundred dollars to her children in absolute property.  

Item  I lend unto Mrs. Mary Brown, who has resided many years in my family the lot, brick dwelling house and other improvements situate on the east sides of Handcock Street, and near South front Street, in the town of New Bern, with all the household and kitchen furniture for and during the term of her natural life.  

Item  I give unto Mrs. Mary Brown, her executors and administrators two hundred dollars to furnish her one years provisions.  

Item  After the death of Mrs. Mary Brown, I give and devise unto the following children of my deceased sisters Nancy Isler, and Betsey Isler, viz Eliza the wife of Council Wooten, Rebecca, the wife of William Herring, Eveline the wife of William Fort, Susan the wife of Levi Dawson, Rebecca the wife of John Wooten, and John Isler, to be equally divided between them, and their heirs and assigns the lot, brick dwelling house and improvements in New Bern on Hancock Street, and near Trent river, and household and Kitchen furniture loaned to Mrs. Brown.  [Illegible--It is?] is further my will that the married ladies above named viz: Eliza Wooten, Rebecca Herring, Eveline Fort, Susan Dawson, and Rebecca Wooten, [illegible] [illegible-severally?] and each of these have and hold their respective shares of the property [illegible--divided?] in this clause to their sole and separate use so as not to be liable or subject to the debts contracts or engagements of their said several husbands.  

Item  I give to my Executors three hundred dollars, and desire them to apply the sums immediately after my decease to inclose with a permanent and substantial brick wall my husband’s grave, and the place near said grave where I desire to be buried, and to put a slab of marble or other tomb stones on my grave. 

Item  I give unto my brother Simon Becton my old negro man George who is one of my house servants, and direct him to apply one hundred dollars for his comfortable maintenance and support, and to permit him to reside wherever he may think himself most comfortable.  

Item  I am anxious to reward the meritorious service of the following named slaves, with the boon of freedom, namely Phillis, Esther, Nancy, Patsey, Scot, John, Amey, Pleasant, and Fortune, West, Mary and Sarah, which four last named are the children of Amey and all their future issue and increase, and I request and direct my Executors to apply a sum not exceeding three hundred dollars to pay their safe passage and settle said slaves in some one of the free states. 

Item  All the rest and residue of my estate I give and devise in the following manner, that is to say, to my brother Simon S. Becton, his executors and administrators one fourth part of said residue to my nephew John E Becton, son of my deceased brother Frederick E. Becton, and his executors and administration one fourth of said residue, to the children of my sister Nancy Isler, deceased one fourth of said residue, in absolute property, and to the children of my deceased sister Betsey Isler, in absolute property the remaining one fourth of said residue.  

Item  I appoint my brother Simon S. Becton, and Council Wooten, my Executors.  Item I ratify and confirm to my nephew John E. Becton, the gifts of my negro George and Bridget formerly given verbally.

In Testimony whereof I hereto set my hand and seal this 26th day of July in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty seven.

Susan Jones (seal)

Signed, sealed and declared by the testatrix and published as her last will and testament in our presence.

Jeremiah H Allen
J. G. Stanly

Source of handwritten document used for this transcription: 
Ancestry.com. North Carolina, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Asa Stocks to Council Wooten. Deed. Pitt County, NC. 1816.

  Asa Stocks to Council Wooten Note: For this transcription, I've added punctuation and standardized capitalization and some spelling to...